Yesterday, January 11, 2013, at 3:30 p.m. sharp, I went to see my ophthalmologist, Dr. Rafael Yee at the Clínca Yee, for my yearly visual checkup. Normally I do this every year, just to make sure my headlamps are okay. I read a lot and spend a considerable amount of time before a bright computer screen on a daily basis, and occasionally my eyes get irritated and/or fatigued. I also have a glaucoma history in the family and I want to play it safe ensuring that I’m not affected by this disease.
Lately my eyes are red, a little teary on the corners, and very tired when I sit before my computer. Before it got any worse, I decided to pay an early visit to Dr. Yee. After a careful examination, he diagnosed that the redness of the eyes and a feeling of irritation and fatigue were caused by dry eyes and by circulatory origins.
To relieve the aforementioned symptoms, he prescribed the following medication:
- Lagricel Ofteno: Hyaluronic Acid sodium (a derivative of Hyaluronic Acid) is an eye lubricant for the temporary relief of burning, foreign body sensation, itching or dryness causing mild eye irritation by a wide range of agents such as sunlight, dust, air, chlorinated water, weak chemical agents, and exposure to bright light.
- Vatarel MR: This is a Prophylactic adjuvant treatment of the decline in visual acuity and visual field disturbances presumably of vascular origin. It is considered by most oculists as an auxiliary treatment of visual disorders of a circulatory origin.
Dr. Yee said that the lamps were working well and the irritation and fatigues of both eyes would be gone in a few days. Besides the mentioned prescription medicines, there was nothing to worry about. He said jokingly, I could write my blog until I fell asleep. Those words were music to my ears as you probably imagined.
How much did I have to cough out for this visit? Here it is so you can compare these costs to your country and city.
- Medical Fees: $40.00 (this includes a 20 percent retiree discount)
- Cost of Lagricel Ofteno: $11.15 (price includes a 20 percent retiree discount)
- Cost of Vastarel MR: $15.12 (price includes a 20 percent retiree discount)
- Total Cost: $66.27
Oh one more thing, before I forget. While I was waiting for my turn to see the doctor, I sat next to a young woman with her daughter who I guess was about three years old. The little girl was very concentrated in some kind of gadget and occasionally gestured and shouted enthusiastically. Her mother guided and played patiently with her. Tempted by curiosity, I looked closer and discovered that mother and daughter were playing with a brightly lit Apple iPad Mini. They were taking pictures of each other with the embedded camera, and editing the images into all kinds of funny faces and weird bright colors. (Omar smiled complacently.) The Apple Mini has finally reached our market and is already making people happy.
The positive visit to the eye doctor and the experience of watching an Apple iPad Mini in action made my day. Year 2013 so far, has had a good beginning. Good Day.